Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Eve Surprise. . . . It's A. . . . . .

My Christmas Eve started with a quick trip to the doctor and a telling ultrasound. . . . but more on that later!

After I got home, we kicked off Christmas Eve morning by finally getting around to making the gingerbread houses I had been promising the kids the entire month. Something about being pregnant and exhausted and the holidays has not been the best mix! It's been so hard to get stuff done, even the stuff I love doing with the kids. Anyway lest we let a yearly tradition slip away, I stayed up late and made the houses so we were ready to decorate in the morning. This year instead of one large house I made three smaller houses so each of the girls could have their own. They loved it, and it was fun to watch them each come up with their own patterns and plans. Maddie's plan involved eating at least equal amounts as she used for decorative purposes. (Ignore the nasty messy kitchen in the background. . . sorry!).










Three very distinct houses.

I spent the rest of the day cooking a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos and cupcakes to take to our friends house for a Christmas Eve dinner. We had three families, and split the large holiday meal so nobody ended up having to cook too much. . . it worked out so perfectly! Large meals like that should always be shared.

Right before we left for dinner the girls, as tradition dictates, were allowed to open a new pair of pajamas to wear to bed on Christmas Eve. We surprised them, though, by giving them each an additional gift to open that we told them was for the new baby. I had sewn a blanket in both girl and boy colors and had picked up a few small outfits at the PX in both genders. I had decided I was going to tell the kids the gender of the baby by letting them open the presents and figuring out what the items meant.

Getting ready to open. . .

The loot.

The loot up close.

Yup. . . according to this picture it's a BOY!!!

We were honestly floored, both Tyler and I thought for sure it was another girl, we even had a super cute girl name picked out. I still find it hard to believe. . . after Maddie was a boy for 8.5 months before her birth I'm guessing I will always remain a bit skeptical. Anyway all you mothers of sons. . . does this ultrasound clearly depict a boy? Am I just being a cynic if I'm doubting? Leave a comment. . . I'll be curious to hear!

Here's the video of the girls putting together the gender. As you can tell Emily is THRILLED!

After we opened the presents we drove to our friends house for dinner. Emily was so excited to tell Carol. . . who literally screamed when she told her it was a boy. What a fun surprise to share on Christmas Eve! The food was amazing, and the company even better.
Hannah and McKenna

Emily stealing baby Maddox's hat

Sorry it's blurry. . . but man do these two love each other! Hannah has declared she will marry Jakey someday.

Chris reading Twas the Night Before Christmas to the kids. They each had a small present they had to pass when he said the word AND. At the end they kept whatever they had. Maddie played for one round, until she got a small wind up Pororo toy. Then she grabbed the toy and made off for a back room. Smart! Hannah got a pooping reindeer, and seriously thought she was in heaven. She loves that pooping reindeer.

We all exchanged kids names so each of the kids received one present on Christmas Eve. As you can see Sarah had the key to Maddie's heart.

And Hannah loved her Thumbelina. No picture, but Sarah's girls got Emily a pair of warm winter boots. Emily is in love! She was so protective of them she put them back in the bag and carried them around the rest of the night "so nothing would happen to them."

Finally back home. . . house clean. . . . cinnamon rolls for the morning made. . . gifts laid out. . . time for bed. . . . . what a magical day!

6 comments:

Torey said...

Love the gingerbread houses. Do you have a recipe for the gingerbread? And congrats on the exciting news. Definitely looks like a boy to me and is very similar to the ultrasound of our #1. When are you due?

kim said...

Congrats!!!! That is exciting news--I can't read ultrasound pics at all (although I can sometimes tell when the baby is actually moving around, which means in the ones I've had of my own), but lets just assume that since the mistake of a boy turning out to be a girl hardly ever happens, there's almost 0 chance of it happening twice to you. Glad Emily is excited!

soybeanlover said...

It took me a bit to figure out what I was looking at, but that looks pretty boy like to me. I assume the equipment is much better than last time around.

I love all of your Christmas photos, they are great! I'm glad we get to peak in on your documentation.

Jeanne and CJ said...

Congrats! A boy will be an interesting change to your household. Now Tyler won't be the lone male. Watch out Barbies here comes GI Joe.

Luna said...

Our boy shot was undeniable. That one to me could be questionable... depending what week you are. I have had 2-3 friend have an early u/s that said boy and it was a girl. One didn't find out it was a girl until birth.

But I have to admit... I am always a bit skeptical myself.

Luna said...

Now.... I do have to admit... the more I stared at the u/s the more it did look like a boy. That dang skeptic!