Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oliver Pax Allen

Oliver Pax Allen
May 27, 2010
5:38 PM
Busan, Korea
6 lbs. 15 oz.
20 inches

Thursday I went in for my normal weekly check-up. Tyler was even with me, as we wanted to talk to the doctor about possibly inducing me by early next week if the baby hadn't come. Tyler was going into what was seriously the most busy week ever. The G-2o finance meetings were being held in Busan, which made for the most inconvenient time ever to have a baby. If I've learned nothing in this career, though, it's flexibility.

So Tyler went with me to my appointment right after we got the girls on the bus. I was looking forward to a relaxing day at home with Maddie. I had two blankets I wanted to finish sewing and was really looking forward to a long nap. . . possibly an episode or two of Alias (current obsession). I guess the fact that I did have plans was the first sign the baby would be coming!

We had chosen the Jeil Ladies Hospital in Busan to deliver the baby. It's a newer, really small hospital that only does OB/GYN stuff. Several friends had had babies there, and the most impressive part to us was the flexibility they seemed to show foreigners. It's kind of intimidating having a baby in a foreign culture. I have utmost faith in the Korean medical system, but honestly was pretty nervous about the cultural differences surrounding the baby's birth. It honestly turned out to be the best birthing experience of the four for me.

At the appointment he checked and found I was already 4 cm dilated. It was a total repeat of Maddie's birth. They wanted to admit me then, but I insisted on going home and getting some stuff taken care of first. We ran home, packed bags, and dropped Maddie off with friends. Back at the hospital I was admitted and left to rest for a few hours. Finally around 4, they broke my water and it went pretty quickly from there.

After a few crummy epidural experiences I was really worried, but opted to have one anyway. I was nervous enough about everything else, I didn't want to be stressing over the pain. The epidural went seamlessly, and proved to be fantastic. . . it was a light one so I was still able to move and feel things, just not nearly as intensely. With the epidural in place and my water broken, I was pushing within an hour and at 5:38 little Oliver Pax entered the world.

All in all it was a fantastic birth experience. The doctor was extremely kind, and listened well to what we really wanted. There were cultural differences of course, but the hospital worked really hard to work with us. They allowed me to keep the delivery room a comfortable temperature (Korean women like it 80+ degrees), allowed me to keep the baby in my room instead of the nursery, and allowed us to discharge as early as we wanted. I would not hesitate to have another baby in Korea, it was a fantastic experience.

After we were moved to the recovery room, Tyler went and picked up the girls to come meet their new brother. They were thrilled and loved holding him. Poor Maddie sobbed when she had to leave. The good news was by the next morning we were discharged and home by lunch. Coming home is always the best feeling.

We love this new little guy so much, and are so glad he came to join our family. We look forward to watching him integrate this way into our lives, and already cannot imagine what it was like before!

The girls meeting Oliver.

Maddie loves him.

Tyler and his brood.

Famous Korean-burrito swaddle wrap. It's amazing these babies wake up at all, they are so bundled up!

Getting ready to go home.

Oliver is, by far, our fairest baby.

So excited to be taking this little guy home.


Torey said...

Congratulations! I love the name. ;-)

Kelly said...

Wonderful! You look amazing! Congratulations to you all. 80 degrees? Ugh...

Gabriel Fam said...

What a cutie! Congratulations...hope your getting sleep. What a beautiful family!!

Luna said...

YAY!!!! Glad things went well..... I can only imagine the challenge of giving birth with a whole slue of cultural differences! Good job mama!